Yes it's true. Spring break was just here and so Anson and I wanted to take a few days as the kids enjoyed some time with grandma and grandpa to go vacation someplace. Now I had high hope of this little outing.
I was thinking fun, extravagant, romantic, far and cheap. Paris, Washington D.C., Hawaii all had great deals. Then there was Boston! My sister is there with her darling family, there would be great food- so I was told- wonderful company, did I say it would be GREAT?! So instead my husband brought me back down to earth and says "How about Flagstaff?" Yes, it's only two hours away, cold, snowy, and close. We could drop the kids off and go skiing... Hummm.... Well....
The rational was great, it COULD be fun I'm up for adventure, skiing- I haven't been for about 10 years and I used to love it. Ok skiing in Flag.
So we booked a great hotel and dusted off the old ski jackets, dug out the wool socks I hadn't worn for about 10 years, bought some new ski pants and set off for Flag. My mom gave me plently of warnings as I tend to be a bit accident prone, so with that goal in mind, we left the kids at grandma's and sent off for Flag.
The day was nice. We had eaten breakfast in the mist of a movie star and were very excited as the mountain had just recieved about 5-6 inches of new powder. good softer landings...
We found great deals on skiis and the gear to rent and up the hill we went. 
Our first run was not so bad. It felt great to be back on the hill again. The speed, the motion the feeling of soft snow, the crunch the snow makes when you're making new tracks. Both Anson and I didn't fall once. Few... let's do it again...
then it all started.
Something about the swinging motion of the lift. I couldn't handle it.
Swinging, swinging, swing, swing, sin, siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
sorry to all those below. I just couldn't handle it. Anson was dying. I told myself to hold it in, it was all in my head. I gingerly got off the lift and told myself that I loved the scenery, the feeling of the fast wind blasting my face, but all it took was one small bump on the bunny run I had to dig myself a hole and lay in the snow for 45 minutes till my head stopped spinning, I couldn't take the motion any longer. I was done for!
After a long break, saltines and soda, I felt a bit better.
Sadly Anson did not. His body couldn't take the wierd pressure of the ski's for one more second! We were some pair.
We opted for sleeping in the car me against the wierd angle of the ski's and wet boots, he in the comfty leather seats up front.
We consented... we were not made for skiing any longer... we were old, those days behind us. You know, 7 and under are free and over 70 are free. Maybe I'll try it again when I'm seventy then at least it will be free!
Friday, March 28, 2008
We are so old
Posted by
Call family
at
12:38 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
You guys are to funny! Sorry your little get away couldn't be more enjoyable! you need to take pictures of your kids and post them. I am starting to forget what they look like, just kidding!
That is quite an entertaining story! I'm still laughing. Maybe it was the altitude? you guys crack me up!
It is amazing how that age thing sneeks up on you.
Oh Michelle! Sorry your little get away was so tough.... it's crazy that both you and Anson were so sick! It must have been the altitude. for a second I thought maybe you were pregnant! But then, is Anson pregnant, too?! :)
What a bummer.
Funny story, though...
That is so funny! Jared and I had been planning on going skiing this winter and never found the time. Maybe a good thing after reading about your ski trip! Thanks for sharing!
that sounds ambitious. I try not to test my physical limits these days because it would probably depress me. oh wait, i've never been athletic. kudos for trying.
oh, that just sucks! I hate to spend money on things when it ends like that. Even if I don't like a movie, darnit, I want my money back! Soryy you're feeling old, next time think poolside in scottdale...
That really stinks. But I have to admit your experiance really gave me a good laugh. Or should I tell you that? Anywho at least you got a break from the "mommy can I...." for a little bit.
OH my gosh, this is THE funniest story I have ever read. I almost pee'd my pants! You never mentioned this part of your vacation when we talked! SO FUNNY!!! Maybe you SHOULD have opted for Boston with us :)
Okay, I'm about a month and a half late on commenting on this post, but it cracked me up! Doesn't it seem we get too old too soon?
At least you had a good laugh. Maybe, because of this escapade, next year you'll get that romantic trip you wanted.
Post a Comment