I know it's been almost a month since Super Tuesday but I had to share in the fu
n I had that night. I was invited to an Invite Only/Media Party for Mitt Romney at a private residency here in Paradise Valley. Anson and I had planned on going but with failed babysitting attempts I had decided not to go. On my way to a church activity for the evening I couldn't help but think of the fun that I could be having at this fantastic party. And when do you ever get invited to these parties anyway? I then decided to go. I should tell you that I left in the clothes I had been wearing all day. Scruffy shoes, jeans, spit up on my shirt you get the idea. So on my way to this beautiful home I am passing 'mansions without number' and I pull up to this house covered in News media trailers and vans. I get my lucky front row parking as I try to desperately find lipstick or something of use to me in my diaper bag. To no avail I only found IMC's crusty roller lip sparkle, the $1.98 kind. OK fine enough. I kept telling myself "I voted like this, this is who I am!" It was like Matt Foley's motivational speech on Saturday Night Live (back in the 90's when it was funny) "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and gosh darn it people like me!"
So there I went scraping yogurt off my pant leg and into this amazing place they called a home. I settled into a nice little niche off the couch and behind a lamp right behind a couple news crews backgrounds where they were conducting interviews. I am enjoying my appetizers and sprite (remember it was a Mitt Romney party) and just having a great evening out. I called Anson a couple of times just to seem like I had business to attend too. I made friends with the young people next to me and we start talking about Mitt, having a fine conversation when this guy comes up and asks the girls I had been talking to if she would like to be in young people's picture that the media wanted to have to show the support of young voters Mitt had. He proceeded to ask all the other 'kids' around me if they'd like to be in this photo opt. One guy commented 'Oh I can't be in the photo I'm 25!' Well around the room they went NEVER ASKING ME!!! Now I want to seriously ask here DO I LOOK 30?! Now I want to know because I have been getting some gray hairs, I've noticed a few changes in my skin but do I look old? DO I PORTRAY MYSELF AS A MOTHER OF FOUR? All along I was making friends with the cute college girls at the party did I not look the part? Did I not 'Fit the Mold'? Maybe it was the yogurt on my leg I thought I had scraped it off...
Well not to long after the room had cleared out for "their" photo opt, in walks sherriff JOE ARPAIO. He look right at me and there was this now older looking man standing next to me (He was about 32 ;) ) and he asks anything big happening? (He ended up being Sherriff Joe's bodyguard) So I fill him in when I really want to go talk to Sherriff Joe. So I excuse myself and I went straight up to Joe and said
"Are you Sherriff Joe" and
He says
"Yes I am." and I told him
"Well I'm Michelle Call and I want you to know that I think you are doing a great job!"
He replied kind of jarbled
"Well thank you Michelle." In his dry kind of manner. and with that I turned and left.
Yes I was a little giddy #1 fact- I met the Arizona famous sherriff and #2 even if I wasn't asked to be in the young photo I had my fun too!
So after celebrating Mitt's victories I decided it was time for me to head home as it was my bed time 9:00 p.m. (I know I'm old remember!)
Now on my drive home I was reflecting how cool it all had been when on the radio it announced John McCain was the awaited speaker at the Biltmore Hotel. I had just passed the hotel and quickly flipped a U-turn. I took off my Mitt Romney sticker, hide my sign in the car, again got my signature
front row parking and went straight into the ballroom where John McCain had just started his big speech!! It was great fun mingling around, waving at Joe Liberman, Rudy Guiliani, John McCain's beautiful wife Cindy and others.
After tasty appetizers at the Biltmore I decided I'd had enough fun crashing all these great parties and I'd head home.

9 comments:
What a great political adventure you had!
We listen to Glen Beck all the time, what was your call about?!
Congrats on the sale of your home! This is the home you are living in, right? So now you get to build a new one?! I want details! Let me know!
Sounds like life is going super for you guys!
The reunion in Utah is the first week in August... I think.
:)
Wow! I'm speechless! You really were in the presence of all these famous people? AND you were on the Glen Beck show? Do tell more please. I think it's awesome that you are so involved politically and that you skipped your church duties for the evening and you got to eat appetizers...twice!
The call was regarding Mitt Romney dropping out of the race and now John McCain was going to be the front running. That afternoon McCain had given a speech in front of the conservative right and he had gotten booed, so did I think McCain speech was different than the one I had been present at the previous night (yes!)and if so, do I think he is more conservative than he has let us all believe in the past four years. He also asked why did I support Mitt Romney and that's when he couldn't let me off the phone. He had know idea how to cut me off I think. I had been on hold for 45 minutes. I had been listening in over the phone and so I had so much time to think about what it was I really wanted to say! It was great fun!!
You crack me up Michelle!!! Did Anson ever find out where you were all night?
I love the "guts" you have to just waltz into these places like no bodies business...way to go, you OLD mamma of four! ;)
Okay, so I had no idea you were an electrician(?-sp). That is cool. I love to work on things like that, too.
Anyhoo, the whole politics thing just eludes me every time, but I still try to get out and vote (yes, I did this time as well) and know the main issues. I think you are too funny, just skipping out on church and busting in on the parties!
BTW, could you email me?? holcomb1298@gmail.com
Thanks!!
This is so funny! Even though I have heard this story it is fun to read it again. Just because we have blogs doesn't mean we can't call and tell each other the exciting stories first each week! Love you!!
How fun. My hubby would be jealous. He loves all the politic stuff. I wish I was as brave as you are. I don't think I could just show up at those places alone. You go!!!
wow... I think I heard you on the radio.
I listen to GB all the time.
What a cool story!
Michelle~ I just found you! How fun to see your blog and your family. I'm a political junkie, too, but I have to admit I haven't been paying that much attention lately. Ah, well. Now you have to come visit my blog! Kobialkafamily.blogspot.com
Post a Comment